I like celebrating milestones. And 100 New Things is a milestone.
My only worry embarking upon this initiative was that 365 seemed like a really big number.
But I'll say this - if it all comes as easily as the first 100 did, we're going to be just fine.
I figure 100 is a nice, round opportunity to take stock of the first 100 New Things.
There are a few (well, more than a few) things I haven't had a chance to follow up on in the course of these 100 Things. So we can take care of that now:
- It started on January 2nd and continued straight through the end of March: I took a lot more winter walks this year than ever before.
- I did not win the Mets T-shirt contest. Here's who did. It's fine, though. I couldn't make it to that game on Social Media Night anyway.
- Sticking with baseball, I didn't love my tweet-a-day for the month of March way of publishing my baseball picks. Also, by the time I published, for example, my Yankees pick, it was outdated - they had so many injuries I probably would have changed it if possible. But I had already made my picks. I couldn't make changes. No one challenged me on any of them, though, no matter what had happened in spring training. So I'm pretty sure no one was reading them. My World Series pick - Nationals over Tigers - was the same as many of the baseball experts - that's the first time in a few years my pick has been the same as the popular opinion.
- I made a big deal out of the fact that Buster Olney re-tweeted me when that happened. I don't want to make such a big deal out of this, but he also replied to one of my tweets. On the eve of the baseball season I asked him if the podcast would still be Monday-Friday. (Because, as I've mentioned, I don't know how he finds the time to do all of this, and I thought during the season there would be no way he could keep it up.) He responded "Yes..." I, of course, interpreted that ellipse as him thinking, "Why wouldn't it be, you idiot?"
- I don't want to make too much out of this, either - but I was ahead of the curve on the Billy Joel singing with a student thing. That video took off in the week or so after I published it. Maybe I'm becoming a trend-setter.
- Are you listening to 99% Invisible yet? It's really tremendous. It's not entirely about design and architecture...well, it kind of is, but not how you think. For example - episode #28 is about opening credits for movies and TV shows. It's good stuff. And the title? Apparently it comes from a Buckminster Fuller quote, if that means anything to you.
- You may be wondering if I have a favorite New Thing so far. Good question. I do - it's this one.
My friends have commented on my positivity. I'm sorry. I generally like things. My friend Kevin suggested I do a theme week - New Things I Don't Like. I suppose it's a possibility...but first I'd have to start not liking things. Which would be a New Thing in and of itself...so I guess it wouldn't be bad.
Thanks for following along this far - 265 more to go. And I'd love it if this were more of an interactive site - please feel free to leave a comment or get in touch with me another way - I'd love to hear from you and know what you think. Thanks for reading.